Utilizing intervals.icu, Coach Ryan Kohler demonstrates ways to train maximal force production, or torque, on the bike. He reviews three workouts.
His advice will help you make better training decisions when your focus is developing higher torque on the bike. These include:
- Use hills whenever possible to maximize force production.
- Build in appropriate recovery when training this aspect of fitness.
- Understand the expected results of your training sessions.
- Short, on/off style HIIT workouts do not appropriately train your ability to deliver maximal force production to the pedals.
- Improving maximal force production on the bike is something you can include in your training year-round, at least to some degree.
For more on “big gear” work (high-torque, low-cadence workouts), listen to Fast Talk, episode 125: Put It in the Big Gear—We Explore Low-Cadence, High-Torque Training with Neal Henderson.