In today’s episode, we’ve invited Rambleur Rising coach and elite gravel racer Kristen Legan to help answer your many insightful questions.
To give you a broader range of coaching opinions, Kristen joins Trevor and me to talk about the art of listening to your body, ketogenic diets, glucose transport, and much more. Kristen has a varied and lengthy elite career, first as a swimmer, then pro triathlete, and now a gravel and cyclocross specialist. She’s also a coach to many ultra-endurance athletes.
Now, on to your questions.
Devin K. in Seattle asks about the clues he should look for when doing a workout, in order to know when to gut it out or bail due to fatigue.
Next, Cary B. in the UK wants to know if there is an intensity or duration at which GLUT4 transporters are activated. We discuss why GLUT4 is important for endurance athletes.
Coach Connor answers several questions from Daan K. in Amsterdam about the ketogenic diet and episode 46 with Professor Noakes.
We’ve received several questions about preparing for events at altitude. If you live at sea level, what is the best way to prepare yourself and train for events at altitude? We dive in.
Finally, our gravel guru, Kristen, gives Taylor M. some advice on how to improve her long-haul gravel race tactics and techniques. Let’s make you fast!
- AUBRY, Anaë., HAUSSWIRTH, C., LOUIS, J., COUTTS, A. J., & MEUR, Y. L. (2014). Functional Overreaching: The Key to Peak Performance during the Taper? Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 46(9), 1769–1777. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1249/mss.0000000000000301
- Burke, L. M., Ross, M. L., Garvican‐Lewis, L. A., Welvaert, M., Heikura, I. A., Forbes, S. G., … Hawley, J. A. (2017). Low carbohydrate, high fat diet impairs exercise economy and negates the performance benefit from intensified training in elite race walkers. The Journal of Physiology, 595(9), 2785–2807. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1113/jp273230
- Cordain, L., Miller, J. B., Eaton, S. B., Mann, N., Holt, S. H., & Speth, and J. D. (2000). Plant-animal subsistence ratios and macronutrient energy estimations in worldwide hunter-gatherer diets. Am J Clin Nutr, 71, 682–92.
- Jensen, T. E., Sylow, L., Rose, A. J., Madsen, A. B., Angin, Y., Maarbjerg, S. J., & Richter, E. A. (2014). Contraction-stimulated glucose transport in muscle is controlled by AMPK and mechanical stress but not sarcoplasmatic reticulum Ca2+ release. Molecular Metabolism, 3(7), 742–753. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmet.2014.07.005
- Pinckaers, P. J. M., Churchward-Venne, T. A., Bailey, D., & Loon, L. J. C. van. (2017). Ketone Bodies and Exercise Performance: The Next Magic Bullet or Merely Hype? Sports Medicine, 47(3), 383–391. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-016-0577-y
- Tønnessen, E., Sylta, Ø., Haugen, T. A., Hem, E., Svendsen, I. S., & Seiler, S. (2014). The Road to Gold: Training and Peaking Characteristics in the Year Prior to a Gold Medal Endurance Performance. PLoS ONE, 9(7), e101796. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0101796