What a year it’s been. In so many ways, 2020 was a challenge—sometimes big, sometimes small, but always a bit more challenging. The same goes for our humble podcast.
But we stayed connected, virtually, across time zones, across international borders, and despite waves of pandemic disruptions, so we could bring you incredible conversations with exceptional guests from the worlds of physiology, medicine, nutrition, sports psychology, and, of course, cycling.
This is the best of 2020.
Who, specifically, will you hear from today? Let’s drop some names: First, there’s world famous physiologist Dr. Iñigo San Millan, who also happens to be the head of the training staff of UAE-Team Emirates, the team of Tour de France winner Tadej Pogacar.
We’ll hear from the coach of America’s most talented cyclists, Jim Miller.
A “best of” episode wouldn’t be complete without the incomparable Dr. Stephen Seiler.
We’ll also hear from outspoken, sometimes sassy, Sebastian Weber of INSCYD.
We’ll get words of wisdom from the legend, Joe Friel. We’ll hear from Fast Talk Labs contributor Julie Young, and we’ll catch up with incredible athletes, including climbing sensation Sepp Kuss and national champ Ruth Winder.
All those guests and many more.
There are several themes that come out in this episode, a function of the fact that we kept revisiting these topics throughout the year. One thing Fast Talk has taught us, and we hope you as well, is that by discussing these topics with intelligent guests, we develop a better understanding of where training science and practice converge, and where it’s headed.
Some of the themes we’ll touch upon include leaving complexity out of your intervals, the execution of workouts and using feeling versus data, and ranges versus specific numbers. And much more.
The Fast Talk team has enjoyed every minute of creating this show for you—likewise, we’ve loved sifting through our collection of episodes from the past year to gather the best of 2020.
Thank you for your continued support. We couldn’t do it without you. So here’s to 2021 and… a return to bike racing?!?
Let’s make you fast!
Here are the list of episodes included in our Best of 2020:
- The Metabolic Cost of Your Rides—Is It the Same For Everyone?
- Should You Build the Best Engine Or Focus on Specificity? With Jim Miller
- Overreaching, Overtraining, and Burnout with Dr. Stephen Seiler
- Beyond the Data—Training Is Not Only About Numbers
- Zones Are a Range, and Not a Specific Number, Featuring an All-Star Cast of Guests
- Balancing Science and Experience in Your Training, with Cameron Cogburn
- How to Race Aggressively, with National Road Champion Ruth Winder
- The Duration and Intensity of Rest Periods Is As Critical As Your Intervals, with Sebastian Webber
- The Favorite Workouts of Fast Talk All-Stars
- An Introduction to Ultra-Cycling, Bikepacking, and Randonneuring, with Matt Roy, Nick Legan, and Jose Bermudez
- Performance Psychology with Julie Emmerman, Payson McElveen, and Grant Holicky