We are each an experiment of 1.
What can we learn from four riders as they prepare for epic challenge rides?
These are our N1 Challenges. We are each an experiment of one, and our experience can provide lessons for all.
Chapter 1: COMMIT
In Fast Talk Episode 147: What 2020 Taught Us and the Exciting Places 2021 Will Take Us, Trevor, Ryan Kohler, Jana Martin, and Chris Case each committed to a huge, intimidating challenge:
- Chris Case: Bikepacking the Wild Atlantic Way
- Trevor Connor: Trevor begins with “I’m Not Dead Yet!” Taking on Joe Martin.
- Ryan Kohler begins with Time-Crunched and Chasing Time Cutoffs
- Jana Martin begins with First Race: Make It Gravel
Chapter 2: TEST
First, our four riders committed to rides they aren’t sure they can finish. Next, they test themselves to see how far they must go to prepare.
Chapter 3: TRAIN
In this short film open to all, Chris, Trevor, Ryan, and Jana make confessions: They are nervous. Nervous about their fitness. Thinking about their upcoming N1 Challenge races.
- Chris experiments with the bikepacking gear that will serve as his home for 10 days on the Ireland coast.
- Trevor tests his legs and remembers how much racing hurts.
- Ryan steps on the podium but worries about 40,000 feet of climbing.
- Jana toes the line of her first-ever race and finishes saying, “That was so f*cking hard. Now I know why you guys ride intervals all the time.”
Enjoy this short film and wonder: What N1 Challenge would take you out of your comfort zone?
Chapter 4.1: RACE (Jana)
Jana Martin has finished her N1 Challenge! In this short film open to all, Jana shares her experience at her first gravel race.
Chapter 4.2: RACE (Chris)
Fast Talk Labs Cofounder Chris Case is known for pulling off huge, epic challenge rides. You may recall his VeloNews features with Coach Trevor Connor: The New Science of Climbing with Sepp Kuss and Amateur Hour: A Case for Suffering. In his role at Fast Talk Labs, Chris took on another challenge: Bikepacking around the island nation of Iceland.
In this 46-minute short film by videographer Sam Sullivan, watch as Chris and a partner ride past spectacular coastlines, roaring waterfalls, and blasting volcanic sandstorms over epic, 200-kilometer days in the saddle and nights spent under the stars.
If you thought you knew Chris Case, think again. Watch his new N1 Challenge video for an all-new appreciation of our cofounder, who embodies cycling grit and a love of exploration.