We are each an experiment of 1.
What can we learn from four riders as they prepare for their 2021 challenge rides?
In Fast Talk Episode 147: What 2020 Taught Us and the Exciting Places 2021 Will Take Us, Trevor, Ryan Kohler, Jana Martin, and I, Chris Case, each highlighted the big event we plan to target this year:
- Trevor wants to prove he can still race at a high level now that his racing license says 5-0!
- Ryan wants to test himself at Breck Epic, a six-day MTB stage race.
- New to the sport, Jana has chosen to attempt her first gravel race.
- And I’ve decided to go way outside my comfort zone and try an ultra-endurance event: The TransAtlantic Way is a 2,500-kilometer bikepacking race along the western coast of Ireland.
We are calling these 2021 rides our N1 Challenge: We are each an experiment of one, and our experience can provide lessons for all.
We hope you’ll follow us on our journeys as we highlight the training, nutrition planning, skills, and gear it takes to tackle these events. Learn what it takes to tackle a big event like these from our articles, videos, workshops, and podcasts.
JOIN THE CHALLENGE
- To join in, first log in or join as a member. Listener Membership is free but limited. You can enjoy full access through our Library or FORUM Member Levels.
- Then declare your commitment to the N1 Challenge in our Forum! Update us on your progress; key workouts, challenges you are facing or have overcome, tests and races you are training through.
- Then consider joining our N1 Challenge Strava Club. See you on the road!
FOLLOW OUR PROGRESS
We Declare Our Challenges on Fast Talk: Fast Talk Episode 147 // What 2020 Taught Us and the Exciting Places 2021 Will Take Us. In this episode of Fast Talk, Trevor, Ryan, Jana, and Chris declare their commitments to their goal races:
- Chris Case’s N1 Challenge: Bikepacking the Wild Atlantic Way (Chris’s N1 Challenge) (Library or FORUM Members only)
- Trevor Connor’s N1 Challenge: Trevor begins with “I’m Not Dead Yet!” Taking on Joe Martin. (Library or FORUM Members only)
- Ryan Kohler’s N1 Challenge: begins with Time-Crunched and Chasing Time Cutoffs (Library or FORUM Members only)
- Jana Martin’s N1 Challenge begins with First Race: Make It Gravel (Jana’s N1 Challenge) (Library or FORUM Members only)
Discuss Lessons and Plans: 2020 Lessons and 2021 Plans (Library or FORUM Members only): This Forum post is a companion discussion to Fast Talk Episode 147. What did you learn in 2020? What are your plans for training and challenging yourself in 2021?
We hope to inspire you to commit to your own N1 Challenge!
Where will cycling take you in 2021? And how can we help?
— Chris Case, Cofounder of Fast Talk Laboratories